Ornate Horned Frogs are large voracious frogs that
inhabit the forest floor of Colombia, Venezuela,
Brazil, Argentina and surrounding countries. These
interesting amphibians live a sedentary life and do
not need a lot of space. Ornate Horned Frogs are
ambush predators and will lie in wait for anything
that will fit in their mouths. They are nicknamed Pac
Man Frogs because of their enormous mouths and
overall rounded shape.
- Common Name: Ornate Horned Frog or
Pac Man Frog
- Scientific Name: Ceratophrys ornata
- Distribution: Throughout South America
- Size: 4"-6"
- Life Span: 6-10 yrs+
- Despite their large size, Horned frogs
are relatively inactive and do not
need a lot of space.
- A young Horned Frog can be kept in
a 5-10 gallon terrarium.
- A single adult frog can be housed in
a 10-20 gallon terrarium with a
- Provide plenty of cover by using Zoo
Med's Naturalistic Flora, Bush Plants,
and Cork Rounds.
- Horned Frogs are tropical animals that
will do best in temperatures from
- Daytime Terrarium Temperature
- Nightime Temperature: 68-78°F.
- No basking area is needed.
- Eco Earth® is the preferred
substrate for Pac Man Frogs.
We recommend keeping a
deep layer of 3" or more
to allow your frog to
burrow completely under
- Avoid using large gravel in
your terrarium. Pac Man Frogs
can be aggressive feeders and
will experience impaction if
they were to swallow gravel.
- Zoo Med's Terrarium Moss,
Frog Moss, and New Zealand
Sphagnum Moss are excellent
choices of "substrate toppers"
to retain humidity in
- Pac Man Frogs are true
opportunists and will
aggressively feed on any
small animal or insect that
fits into their mouth.
- A varied diet of insects
and an occasional small
mouse will provide a
- Zoo Med's Can O' Insect
products are an easy way
to diversify their diet.
- We recommend feeding
insects that are no longer
than the width of your
- Dust insect items with
Zoo Med's ReptiCalcium®
- Clean, fresh water is critical
to keeping all amphibians
healthy. We recommend using
ReptiSafe® Water Conditioner
to treat all water that is added
to your terrarium.
- A Little Dripper™,
or Motomister™ can be
used to add humidity to
- Spray terrarium daily.