ReptiTemp® 500R Remote Sensor Thermostat
- Includes 6 foot remote sensor probe, dual port plug receptacle to control multiple heating devices, and adhesive pads for mounting.
- Excellent for use with Zoo Med’s ReptiCare® Ceramic Heat Emitter and the ReptiTherm® Under Tank Heater.
- Safety cover prevents accidental bumping of the temperature control dial
- When used in conjunction with a timer, natural conditions are replicated by providing the proper photo period for your reptile, along with a beneficial nighttime temperature drop (research the species you are keeping to determine its specific temperature requirements).
- Range is from approximately 70° to 110°F (21° to 43°C).
|Item Number: RT-500R|
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Q: What is the difference between a rheostat and a thermostat?
A: A rheostat is basically a dimmer. It allows you to manually reduce the amount of power reaching a heater. A thermostat like the 500R senses the temperature and turns the heater on and off accordingly.
Q: Can I use the rheostat/thermostat with a ReptiSun®, Avian Sun™, or PowerSun™ UV?
A: These lamps need specific line voltages; they cannot be used with this thermostat.
Q: How many heating devices can be controlled with this device?
A: You can plug up to two heating devices into this temperature controller. Make sure the maximum wattage capability is not exceeded.
Q: What is the lowest temperature the thermostat can be set for?
A: Because of the applications for which this product was designed, it can not regulate or sense temperatures below about 70 degrees.
Q: I am using a thermostat/rheostat and the temperature is not rising.
A: Thermostats and rheostats cannot increase the temperature a heat source is capable of putting out. Setting the thermostat/rheostat to the maximum temperature/level will be as hot as the heat source itself will get.
Q: Can the thermostat be used in an aquarium?
A: While the probe is water resistant, it is designed to measure the temperature of air and may not be safe or effective for use in water.